Friday 2 March 2012

Ah poker. Don't you just love it?
Well I don't.

Week off work, and I decided to invest some capital and grind a decent schedule of Stars MTTs. 5 days, 50 hours and 60 tourneys later and we have nothing to show for it apart from an emotional breakdown, utter humiliation and a huge slice of self doubt! Call it the curse of Asbury Court! One year in my new house and my biggest score remains $300. Gone are the days of 4 figure scores, and I do believe Amy is questioning my own enormous self-belief in my MTT abilities.

"Where's the money?" she asks.

"Variance, sample size...blah blah...running bad...blah".

These are the perils of a part timer. 60 MTTs over 5 days and I've definitely run badly. I have no doubt that the short-term variance will turn around but the problem with having a real life job is that it takes a hefty amount of time to reach a decent sample size. Even in my most prolific year, 2010, I only played 650 MTTs. This figure would be dwarfed by a full-timer, and while downswings are a reality for all good players, the higher the volume the shorter the real-time downswing length becomes.

I did make a 2nd place. Typically it was in the lowest prize-pool of any of the tourneys I regged for. A paltry $60. I even ran terribly in the heads-up where I had him in as a 70% favourite twice without holding.

Moan, whinge, whine! Tomorrow I play live in the Grand Final of the Midlands Poker Tour, a £50 BI that I'm freerolling in having won an earlier leg of the tour. Run good please?

No comments:

Post a Comment